Saturday, January 22, 2011

College and Careers

I'll warn you, this is a post entirely about boring stuff like college and what I want to do after school. Probably not many LOLs to be had, sorry.

This all started because Ruby is taking the SAT today (good luck!). I almost signed up for it this year, but I already took the ACT, and I'm too lazy to take another standardized test. That says wonders about my level of academic motivation... No, no, it's just that I'm ok with what I got on the ACT, and even though I SHOULD take the SAT anyway because it's the smart thing to do, I'm, um, too lazy.

I'M GONNA DO AWESOME IN COLLEGE.

Which, while we're on the subject, I've been randomly thinking about a lot lately. I still don't know what I want to major in. I'm pretty sure I know which FIELD I want to go into, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I'm torn between just doing general Biology, or going into something more specific like Cellular Biology and Histology, or Medical Microbiology and Bacteriology. Right now, the latter is looking reeeeeaaally appealing.

I know I want to do something in research. It's a really smart decision, too, because it's really in demand right now, and is expected to be even MORE in demand by the time I graduate. Plus, a Biological Researcher can earn a median salary from 70-80,000, and the top percent can be making six-figure salaries.

SIX FIGURES. ESPECIALLY IN PENNSYLVANIA for some reason. And I have ALWAYS wanted to live in Pennsylvania.
Photobucket

Of course, the majority of people who get hired for these kinds of jobs have a PhD. So that would take about 8-12 years of schooling.
Photobucket

It's not really time I concerned about, it's just the money. We'll just have to see how things go!

I think May 1st is the deadline for applying to the University of Arizona, which is most likely where I'll be going to college. I've filled out everything EXCEPT the essay portion, which is a bit ironic, since writing essays has always been one of my strong points.

Or maybe it's not ironic. I might be struggling with it BECAUSE I've always done a good job on essays. And especially when I'm writing about MYSELF, nothing ever seems to meet my standards. I'LL GET IT DONE, but I have to do it my way.
Photobucket

And anyway, the most important thing they look at above EVEYRTHING else is the caliber of classes you took in high school. I've taken a WIDE variety of classes from Mock Trial to Sculpture, and have 5 AP classes and two college classes under my belt. I really don't think I have any reason to worry.
Photobucket



...I'M SO SORRY WOW this has been a boring post. Maybe later today I'll try to find something entertaining to post. Wow.

1 comment: